DATE: 19 November 2020
TIME: 6pm - 9.30pm
PLACE: Nourish'd Observatory - 186 Lower Main Rd. Obs
Since the dawn of time, human beings have relied on mushrooms. Their use became interwoven in our culture and everyday lives, from a nourishing food source, to a potent source of medicine and even a tool for expanding consciousness. Fungi have been with us since the beginning.
Journey through time to uncover the rich interconnected history mushrooms share with the human race and delve into the biology behind these amazing healers. Together we will learn how our ancestors discovered the healing qualities of various fungi and highlight the new science that is now validating these ancient claims.
We will then explore how to practically apply mushroom medicine within our own lives, and how we can start growing fungi from our own homes.
A three-part evening filled with everything shroom related:
- PART 1. Talk on the history of mushrooms: Their life cycles and lineages - so we can better understand them and the common myths and misconceptions surrounding these organisms Medicinal mushroom presentation outlining the science behind these medicines.
- PART 2. Dinner: 2-Course dinner (mains & dessert), and drink, made with various gourmet mushrooms - lions Mane, Reishi stock, Pink Oyster mushrooms, King Oyster mushrooms, Elm Oyster, Shimeji, and shiitake.
- PART 3. Grow your own mushrooms WORKSHOP - How to grow mushrooms with simple techniques in your kitchen using basic appliances i.e. Stove, Tupperware and cardboard. Take home the grow kit you've created with Oyster mushrooms - fruits can be expected in 3-4 weeks time.
Q&A will be held at the end, free reading material will be provided - aether books will also be available at a discounted price
ABOUT CULLEN & AETHER HERBALIST AND APOTHECARY:
Aether Herbalist and Apothecary is a natural medicines manufacturer, founded by Cullen and his Partner Ricky, that focuses on speciality and wild-harvested plants and mushrooms. They also offer FREE forages, consultations and reading material over and above their range of laboratory grade herbals.
Cullen found his lifelong passion in mushrooms after escaping the corporate world. When he's not hunting new species in the old-growth forests, or tinkering in the lab, he spends his time writing. He has written 3 short books covering topics like edible weeds, medicinal plants and mushroom medicine - and is currently writing a full-length book on the traditional and medicinal use of mushrooms in Southern Africa.
- Tickets are R450/pp (Or R800 for two) and include the talk, practical workshop and two-course dinner + drink all using gourmet medicinal mushrooms.
- We've limited the number of people to 25 to make sure that the evening stays intimate so be sure to book fast.
Nourish'd & Cullen