PLEASE NOTE:From the 1st of October 2021 we will no longer be accepting glass bottle returns in-store. This is part of our transition over to recycled PET bottles. Our apologies if this causes you any convenience - we are doing our absolute best to inform everyone via our various communication channels.
At its core, Nourish’d has always been about sustainability. The café itself was first sprouted from a deep yearning to improve the health of the earth and its inhabitants. Over the years, our understanding has evolved as we continue to learn about the various effects of different packaging materials, composting methods, supply chains and all things Earth-related. In July of 2021 we decided to make a radical change from glass bottles and bio-plastic containers to rPET bottles and take-away items. This transition was informed by an ecological-assessment and our own research around the impact of packaging in all of it’s forms. To accompany this shift we decided to build this page as an in-depth resource for all who may be interested in exploring the pro’s and con’s of various packaging options, and as a guide for all of our customers on how to responsibly recycle their waste. Thank you for joining us on this journey and we promise that we will continue to innovate, strive and invent for the ongoing health of the Earth and her people.
As part of our move over to rPET we have partnered with an incredible future-forward organisation and app called ‘Imagined Earth’. These ecopreneurs have designed a system which palpably rewards you for recycling; giving new meaning to the phrase ‘one man's trash is another man's treasure’.
• Every packaging item passing through Nourish’d is labeled with a unique Imagined Earth barcode.
• When a customer is finished using their packaging they can then deposit their waste into any of the Imagined Earth vending machines scattered throughout Cape Town (one of which is in the Nourish’d Kloof parking lot!).
• Customers will scan the barcode on their packaging before depositing it into these reverse-vending-machines and will then be rewarded with discounts, cash and other rewards through their app.
• Imagined Earth then collects all of the waste deposited, and ensures that it is properly recycled, forming a closed-loop recycling ecosystem.
We’re extremely excited by this partnership and believe it will not only increase the likelihood that Nourish’d packaging will be responsibly recycled, but that it will also help transform people's perspective of waste as a bad thing when WASTE IS IN FACT A RESOURCE.
• 177 Kloof Street Gardens, Bacinis & Nourish’s parking lot
• Woolworths Sea Point - 204 Main Rd, Sea Point, Cape Town, 8060
• Woolworths Palmyra Junction - Shop 12, Palmyra Junction, 1 Palmyra Rd, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
• Pick n Pay Camps Bay - Victoria Rd, Camps Bay, Cape Town
• Pick and Pay Constantia - Constantia Village, Cape Town, 7848
• Shell Taronga Motors - 102 Kromboom Rd, Rondebosch East, Cape Town, 7780
• PnP Foyer V&A Waterfront - 19 Dock Rd, Cape Town, 8001
• BreakWater Parking - V&A Waterfront - Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001
As you might guess, we produce a large amount of peels and pulp from all of our juices and smoothies. But don’t fret, this nutrient-dense nourishment goes straight back into the soil. By sending all of our organic waste to the Willow Arts Collective, just down the road in Observatory, we ensure that every little piece of food goes to good use, either feeding you, or the earth on which you walk.
We realise that bio-straws alone aren’t going to bring us back from this very scary environmental precipice. We do our best to raise awareness and do our part wherever we can. Whether it’s hosting workshops on waste-reduction strategies, beach clean-ups or large-scale environmental campaigns. Keep an eye on our socials or join our mailing list to keep up with Nourish’d events.
Besides the rPET used in our new bottles, Nourish’d has made a firm commitment to sourcing all other packaging materials, from our sugarcane straws to our salad containers, from ecologically responsible packaging suppliers. We aim to use compostable items where practical, otherwise we source highly recyclable products with the lowest environmental costs. These suppliers include Viro packaging, Environmental, EcoCup, Eco Pack, and Green Home. We are transitioning towards a system where ALL nourish'd packaging can be returned to the Imagined Earth Reverse Vending Machine, at the Kloof street store, for free recycling and reward points. This is a few months out but setup is in full swing and we’re extremely excited to be a part of the Imagined Earth Movement. Besides this we continuously work to improve our systems and take our customers feedback to heart in all that we do.
“The Problem is not with plastic, it’s with human irresponsibility” - Sadhguru
In an effort to be stylishly sustainable, and save you a few bucks along the way, we’ve partnered with MiiR to offer all of our customers custom, reusable smoothie & coffee cups which are for sale at both stores. Whenever you bring one of the MiiR, or another reusable cup, to collect your smoothie or warm bevvy you’ll get R5 off. We also encourage you to BYO containers whenever possible to collect whichever food items tickle your fancy.
All MiiR products purchased also come with a unique ‘give code’ which can be used on their website HERE to fund community and environmental projects.
In our journey towards well-educated sustainability we’ve come across some incredibly useful resources which helped de-condition some of the views we once held, and re-position us to effectively and efficiently tackle the waste problem facing our world. We wanted to share these resources with you: